Welcome to My Creative Page!

I'm working on making this page really a nice looking one. I want people to enjoy it together with me.Feel free to post your comments. Useful advice will be of a great help.


19 September 2007

Teaching millenials and baking bread

Yesterday we had an amazing class. We discussed really curious topics about Digital natives. And I continued this discussion with my roommate when came home.
Here a re the facts that attracted my attention:
· DN are multitask doers
· The pace of their life is really very fast
· They are team workers and collaborators
· They can’t make their own decisions
· They mix personal things and business
· On the other hand, they value their private time
· They are flexible
· Nonconformists are perfecting in 21st century skills (and it’s not a new thing in the whole world. Nonconformists seem to be more persistent, active, searching, discovering – they are rule-breakers. They are the ones to find something new!)
· Modern generation asks a lot of Why? Questions. In my opinion this is the result of new teaching methods and the reason for the development of collaborative work (constructivist model) at the same time
· G-generation has great expectations
· Millenials are impatient
· Net-generation kids don’t know how to work with the books, read and follow the written instructions
· If a child feels shy to communicate to a person face-to-face, he/she puts on a mask. Little kids would participate in the puppet theatre. Bigger kids would communicate in the Second Life. Digital technologies provide a perfect mask, give the students psychological safety and the chance to express themselves without feeling embarrassed.
· We talked about family relationships. Children can discuss some topics with their parents through computer. Nowadays families are more together not in the sense of spending time together, but parents always know what’s going on in their children’s heads, where their children are, and what they are doing. There is a constant mental interaction. Internet makes the world smaller. Even a phone call makes a great difference. I call my mom, and both of us feel OK. I felt being thrown out of my life when I came to the States and my cell phone didn’t work. Vkontakte (Russian version of the Facebook) provided the connection with the world again.
We also talked about including all senses in the teaching process (sound, motion, picture, taste). It’s one of the main principles in pedagogic. The new thing is that new technologies allow us to do it more effectively and faster. It is like baking bread many years ago and nowadays.

3 comments:

Steve A said...

Julia,

We did have a very good discussion. I enjoyed your part in it. As I read you post, I was reminded of something that I first heard years ago. Long before personal computers and the internet. Every generation throughout time has worried about the next generation, afraid that they wouldn't make it in the world. And yet the world has continued and progressed. I suspect that it will continue even with the major changes that are taking place right now.

Dr. Z said...

Boy, that bread looks good. It is interesting to see all of the differences between immigrants and natives.

Are books becoming out of date? I don't think so. While it is important to be able to work in the media world, reading is still a necessary skill. Yes, reading can be done from a screen too, but the printed word is important as well.

Dr. Z said...

There are lots of virtual tours of St. Petersburg.

Couldn't find an SL virtual St. Petersburg but there is a Russian Empire.
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Russian%20Empire/131/223/25